The Therapist Self-care & Mindfulness Workbook
I often get asked, what is self-care? Depending on the role (therapist, student, partner, educator) I am embodying, my self-care presents differently. I began my exploration of self-care while in my master’s program. Art therapy programs place emphasis on the therapist’s role while examining artwork. It is very easy to see whatever you want in someone’s art. In some sense, this is similar to countertransference.
If we project our unconscious beliefs onto someone else, we risk either affirming our client’s belief system or rejecting/alienating our client’s belief system. Either way, our role is neither. By surrounding my life with self-growth, it allows me to work on my emotional intelligence. This is imperative to me and my work.
I have built my self-care plans into my daily routines. Include are; meditation, introspection, writing, creating art, playing with my dog, dancing, yelling, eating, sleeping, bubble baths, wine, quality time with my partner, reading, and sitting outside. On top of implementing new behaviors, I also encourage others to consider self-care within the mind, body, and soul. Mindfulness and self-compassion exploration are key parts of our self-growth practice.
The Mind, Body, and Soul
Taking time to reflect and introspect on how I have been experiencing the world around me also supports my self-care. See below for a few questions that I include in my journaling process.
- What is one statement I feel comfortable saying to myself when I need support?
- What is one feeling I’ve been having a hard time feeling?
- What is one healthy thing I can do to support myself when I’m sad or stressed out?
- What is a new habit I can adopt in helping me feel more joy or calm in my life?
- How can I be a nurturing parent to myself?
To support your wellness journey I have included a breakdown of different self-care options based on your present well-being. If you’ve been looking inward lately for understanding, you are in the right place to rest and introspect. The Therapist Self-care & Mindfulness Workbook is created to help you build a sustainable and therapeutic approach to self-growth that fits you and your clients’ lifestyles.
- A Letter from the Creator
- What Kind of Self-Care Do You Need?
- 1 Self-Care Weekly Schedule Planner
- 4 Take A Mini Break Sheets
- 4 Journal Exercises Sheets
- 2 Key Words To Utilize Daily Sheets
- The 8 Dimensions of Cultural Awareness
- The 8 Dimensions of Cultural Awareness with Introspective Questions
- The 6 Key Areas of Exploring Bias With Our Clients in Mind
- 1 Creating Space Sheet: Balancing External and Internal Space
- 2 Self-Care Quotes
If you are not sure where to start go ahead and schedule a free therapy consultation here. We will work together to discover your strengths and needs.
With Intention, Sarafina